Monday, December 31, 2012

KENNETH SCOTT EARLY YEARS


 

On February 2, 1899, I was born in the home of my parents, Elzumer and Carrie Mae Scott in Chicago, Illinois.  My dear mother was attended in this, her first child bearing, by a very nice Irish neighbor lady, an experienced "midwife," who had been closely watching this lovely young lady, who as a young bride, had moved from the rural area of northwestern Missouri to the big city.  When the attending doctor finally arrived, this kindly but outspoken neighbor said, "Everything has been promptly attended to and you might as well go back to where you came from."  Presently my father arrived in response to the call to his office downtown, and was elated to find that his wife and firstborn son were doing well.



There is little record of my first years in Chicago.  I have a much-treasured, enlarged and framed picture of myself riding on a wheelbarrow of grass clippings, being pushed by my father.  

Does anyone have the original of this photo?
We found part of it! Elzumer
It shows the dress style of that period, with my father wearing a stiff white collar and tie, which must have been the way city surburbanites were supposed to dress when doing their yard work.

Kenneth


I also have a picture of my mother and myself, taken in a local park, showing us dressed in the fashion of that early period. 

Does anyone have the original?




When I was about four years old, my parents decided that the big city was not the place where they wanted to spend more of their life.  Perhaps this was influenced somewhat by their sadness in the death of their second child, Raymond, who died on December 23, 1902, from whopping cough at the age of nine months.  He was buried in Chicago, Illinois.


Raymond E. Scott, age 5 months, March 16, 1902
So Father accepted an offer to become cashier of the First National Bank of Ridgeway, Missouri, and we moved to the town about five miles from his birthplace.  Our home there was a rather small house only a few blocks from the main street of that town of less than 1,000 population.  We had a barn where we kept a driving horse and buggy, a cow, and a nearby chicken house where we kept enough hens to supply us with eggs and an occasional chicken dinner.  Near the house was a cellar where we kept the milk, butter, and the garden vegetables during the winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment