Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A SON REMEMBERS ELZUMER AND CARRIE MAE SCOTT

Recollections of Kenneth Leroy Scott:

Father, Elzumer Scott, was born March 30, 1874 on a farm near Blythedale, in the northern front of Harrison County, Missouri, not far from the Iowa line, the eldest son of Graham and Aneliza Bandy Scott.

My mother, Carrie Mae--the third child of Thomas Edward Sallee and Adelia Putnam--was born May 14, 1877 in Mercer County, Missouri, not far from the Iowa line, near Princeton, some twenty miles east of where my father was born.

Carrie Mae Sallee as a child, circa 1880

In those days of horse and buggy travel that was a distance that people generally did not frequently travel. My mother and the other members of her family were in the Baptist Church.

Carrie Mae Sallee Scott, 1877-1950

Elzumer Scott, 1874-1961

My mother and father became acquainted at the First Baptist Church in Chillicothe, Missouri, where my father had gone to attend the Chillicothe Business College.
It was in Chillicothe where mother and father were married on September 16, 1897, in the First Baptist Church.

Carrie Mae Sallee and Elzumer Scott

I have always been grateful for the strict religious home in which I was reared and the religious example my dear parents provided.


From as early as I can remember until the end of their mortality, Father and Mother were very faithful members of the Baptist Church and studied the Bible regularly.  For many years Father was the financial clerk and was in charge of the choir.  Mother sang in the choir.

Kenneth Leroy Scott and his mother, Carrie Mae Sallee Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment